Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blue Skies

Yesterday, hurricane Hannah sprinted up the coast and waved to us as she passed. Around here, she did not leave a great deal of damage along her path (as opposed to Ike who just shredded the island of Grand Turk), but I certainly felt her presence. Rolling black clouds veined with lightening, grey sheets of rain, and gremlin winds all conspired to drive me inward (even Sara’s picnic was indoors). Sometimes, the external storms tap-tap on my windows, and gust against my door, and, suddenly, I find them swirling inside, harassing me. They are not friendly guests.

But, today is clear. The storm is yesterday’s news. Big blue, cloudless skies stretch far and wide, the sun shines brightly, and a breeze meanders gently through the trees. I lift my head, and survey the room. My guests doze drunkenly in the corner. I could leave them there, sleeping in the darkness. I could escape into the day, hardly encumbered at all. But, that just begs for trouble. I do not have the disposition of a slum lord. So, I raise the windows, open the door, and take up a broom to herd my interior storms. They dig in their heels, scuffing my floor. They stomp and complain, and cross their arms in disapproval. They bargain and hurl insults in turn until, finally, they stumble outside, and scatter into the brilliant air.

2 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Fe...we have been spared. ...in fact we could use more rain. Had just a little today.

CoyoteFe said...

Glad Hannah did not visit, but I hope you receive just enough rain for your vegetables soon!